Post new topic   Reply to topic    Twilight Avengers Forum Index -> Tactics & Strategy Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chordz
Retired

re: Champion 3rd Phase VM Question

In an effort to understand everything about VM I have a question regarding the 3rd Phase Champion role.

Which Massive Tentacle during the shakedown procedure is the Champion clobbering so that the tentacles wont heal?
Is it the one your trying to kill, or both, or the one that is taken to 10k?
Tocanis

To my knowledge the tentacles' inductions cannot be interrupted, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

The Massive tentacles in phase 2 do have an induction, and as far as we can tell it's just an extra damage attack. The Shaking tentacles in phase 3 may have an induction, but it's not the heal. The Watcher itself will check every 30 seconds to see if both Shaking Tentacles are alive. If they are, it will give itself the heal over time that basically full heals itself. If they are not, it will respawn any dead Shaking Tentacle(s).

Basically the Champions are just melee DPS; they help ensure that there are never two Shaking Tentacles alive for 30 seconds. The AE they do helps speed up killing the head as well, just like Hunter AE.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying... for some reason I thought otherwise. The fight basically seems more cut-and-dry than I once thought it was.
Chordz
Retired

And here is why I thought that... a quote from a VM guide on the internet...
Quote:
As said above, go ahead and kill a Shaking Tentacle, and get a champion to clobber, and only clobber the second Shaking Tentacle to stop the healing, at this time you can start to DPS The Watcher. Continue this until the new Shaking Tentacle spawns, and have your corresponding Hunter begin range tanking it to keep it from AoEing the group. Kill the lowest moraled tentacle, and move to the new one, and start taking that one down to 8k, and stop DPS. Once you get to the point where DPS is stopped, you are free to start throwing some additional DPS into The Watcher, however soon as the next Shaking Tentacle spawns, you need to make sure you finish off your 8k Shaking Tentacles, and get going on the freshly spawned one to keep the cycle going.

indicated here http://www.lotrolife.com/lotro_watcher_guide_2/

I thought all the information on the interwebz was always right.
Svensson
CaptSvensson
Leader

I didn't want to give the impression this fight is dead simple and your question is not relevant; I actually think the fight is actually one of the most complicated ones in the game. To give an example, we didn't realize that the changes to the Watcher from its 2nd to 3rd version changed some things to AE damage. We used to stack up in one pile (melee & ranged together), would wipe, and try to figure out where the damage was coming from. That's why we do two stacks now.

Additionally, the Watcher's Crushing Devastation had some mechanics that were not obvious, there were several theories why the damage varied so much, and only after some trial and error did we verify that it is tied to the number of live Shaking Tentacles.

When we go into Dar Nabugud, I expect there to be many wipes as we test bit by bit the boss behavior. Personally, I find strategy guides on the internet to be misleading and potentially dangerous. They often have unspoken assumptions about your player skills, and class make up. So while they can be useful as leads (i.e. things to investigate), at worst they can be misleading. The Watcher strategy we came up with is different from a lot of other guides because of who we are. It also had to change because Siege of Mirkwood came out, and that adjusted the mechanics of how critical hits work.

As a last thought, that URL you posted implies it is for the Watcher's second version, and the current Watcher is in its fourth version. That may explain some differences, but it's been a while =P

Thanks. Thats explains alot. I think I got the whole fight down now.

Btw: This isnt the last time I will pick everyones brain on strategy. Just to warn you ahead of time. Happy
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Twilight Avengers Forum Index -> Tactics & Strategy Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum