Post new topic   Reply to topic    Twilight Avengers Forum Index -> Tactics & Strategy Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allihandra

re: Allihandra's tip of the week #7 - Guardian Tactics

The following is a list of the way's I trait and the legacies I deem important when looking for a weapon for Guardians.

For Tanking, (general purpose)
Empathy, Justice, Loyalty, Innocence, Valor
Brave Heart, Quickness, Grim Challenge, Harasser, Shield of Fire, Litany of Challenge, Heat of Battle
Guardian's Threat, Litany Master, To The King

Some substitutions, (not all inclusive, sorry)
Fidelity for Innocence if you are in a Shadow based instance.
Stoic for Heat of Battle if you are in an instance that does a lot of non-physical damage.
Quick of Foot for Heat of Battle if primary interrupt.

For overpower,
Virtues stay the same
Brave Heart, Harasser, Quickness, Hit it Where it Hurts, Raw Power, Parried Blows, Strong Lungs
Guardian's Threat, Hemorrhage, To The King
(Note: Guardian's Threat doesn't help anything here, it's just that nothing else helps either and I don't want to pay the cost to retrait it later.)

Weapons,
For one handed - AE melee targets, Targeted melee skill range, Guardian's Ward duration, and Warrior's Heart duration are pretty necessary.

For two handed you should add minus overpower power cost. (Say that 10 times fast)

Any +parry, evade, block are useful. Bleed damage and Turn the Tables are also useful. Bleed ticks and charge are not. Others are marginally useful.

For belts - Skill Threat up, decreased cry resist, + challenge targets, + Warior's Heart morale are all useful.

Again, increased damage on skills is fairly useful and +parry, evade, and block legacies.

In general:
Stats in order of usefulness are Vitality, Might, Agility, Fate, then Will. Get as much Morale, Avoidance and Mitigation as possible. Increase to Incoming Healing Rating and Defenses are also good.

Get a Wall of the Resolute Guardian.

If I missed anything or you want to disagree with me as usual per the rules of "Allihandra's Tips of the Week" you are obligated to reply and tell me how I was wrong. (If I didn't miss anything you are obligated to tell me I'm awesome)
(just kidding)
Svensson
CaptSvensson
Leader

I agree with the post's point that threat is more important than mitigations, but I wanted to explain a strategy for maximizing mitigations. The most effective way to gain mitigations is to maximize not one method (i.e. melee defense vs. block/parry/evade vs. armor) but to raise them all. This is because the game penalizes characters with diminishing returns for concentrating too much on one rating.

For example, suppose a Guardian has 40% mitigation due to armor, 15% melee defense, and a total of 30% block/parry/evade. If this Guardian is struck for 1000 damage, testing has indicated LOTRO calculates the damage as follows:

1000 dmg x 60% (due to armor reduction) x 85% (due to melee defense) = 510 dmg

Because the Guardian has 30% total of block/parry/evade, LOTRO was actually designed so that this means there is a 30% total chance for that attack to be totally negated with block/parry/evade (yes this is different from almost every other MUD/MMORPG, but this is how LOTRO works). Thus, the probabilistic damage taken is actually 510 x 70% = 357 average damage per attack.

This outcome is far better than what would have happened if the Guardian only went for melee defense or armor alone at the expense of the other two.

This is a very helpful post, thanks for writing it up.

I am curious, do you think this post:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=260808

has validity for guardians too? Or is it too simplified and more geared towards only wardens? I'm just trying to understand the numbers behind it.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this up!

-Faze-
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Twilight Avengers Forum Index -> Tactics & Strategy Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum