Post new topic   Reply to topic    Twilight Avengers Forum Index -> Tactics & Strategy Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allihandra

re: Allihandra's tip of the week #8 - Guardian DPS

The standard reaction I get when I say "Guardian DPS" or "OP mode Guardian" is skepticism. This I think is because guards do so little dps when tanking. Everyone can see that I'm not actually hurting the Watcher when I'm tanking him. Lotro has given many ways for a guard to increase the dps though, if you don't care about threat or damage mitigations as much. Guards still are in heavy armor, so if a guard gets agro while dps'ing, it matters a lot less than if a hunter gets it. BTW, I have a hunter also so I can tell you from experience that guard dps is right up there. The two things that hunters have over guards is that they are ranged, so they can switch targets without moving and hunter tank a stationary target that mainly does melee (i.e. watcher tentacles) and they have better burst damage.

Here is why guards actually are good at DPS. These numbers are all per attack, but they are actual in game numbers from my character. If someone could point me to a good dps calculator, I would like to actually test this out with real combat. Also note that guard attacks are much quicker than hunter attacks because there is no induction. The typical guard attack is about 2-3 seconds, meaning we get about 20-30 attacks a minute (plus auto attacks in between most). Some are shorter, some are a bit longer. Guardian's ward is a self buffing attack, takes about 2 seconds. I always start the fight with it and it is ready again almost immediately. Brutal Assault is a long cooldown (15 sec), very powerful attack that is only available in OP mode. Overwhelm is a gated attack, I must first parry or hit with Force Opening and then hit Retaliation, but it is a strong attack, comparable to Brutal Assault, that also takes about 3 seconds.

First the tanking traited guard

One handed not OP mode:
Guardian's Ward - 176.5 dmg
Overwhelm - 232.5 dmg

One handed using OP mode:
Guardian's Ward - 198 dmg
Brutal Assault - 290 dmg
Overwhelm - 261 dmg

Two hand using OP mode:
Guardian's Ward - 295 dmg
Brutal Assault - 416 dmg
Overwhelm - 378 dmg

Now a OP traited guard

One handed not OP mode:
Guardian's Ward - 176.5 dmg
Overwhelm - 232.5 dmg

One handed using OP mode:
Guardian's Ward - 222.5 dmg
Brutal Assault - 324.5 dmg plus a 50% chance to add 117 dmg every 2 sec.
Overwhelm - 292.5 dmg

Two hand using OP mode:
Guardian's Ward - 331.5 dmg
Brutal Assault - 466.5 dmg plus a 50% chance to add 113 dmg every 2 sec.
Overwhelm - 424.5 dmg

The difference between one handed tanking and two handed OP is about 83 dps vs 163 dps. These numbers are lower than actual dps because I'm not including the auto attacks or crits. My crit rate is virtually the same except that sting and stagger get a bonus. Also they are very rough estimates because I don't know exactly how long each attack takes. I may be over estimating the length. But one thing you can clearly see is that an OP guard does twice as much damage as a tanking guard.

Discuss.

Sorry if this is tl;dr
Allihandra

Two notes: This post is not intended to say anything bad about hunters.
Also, I forgot about the taking into account the difference in weapon speeds between 1 and 2 handed weapons. Can anyone tell me what percent slower a 2 handed is? I should just use an actual dps calculator. These numbers are too rough of an estimate.
Malferellon

I guess the lesson to take from a post like this is that ANY class is capable of being a DPS'er. This is good when there are too many of a specific class in a group; any overflow classes become DPS'ers.

Last night, 2 Grd's, 2 RK's (one of them was me), and a Mini were doing 2.5.5. There was a LOT of running around in that instance (nature of the instance), so I was doing a lot of switching between heals and DPS. When we had to split the group up to handle different areas of the instance, it was me healing and a champ dpsing. When we 2 were done and ready to rejoin the rest of the group in combat, I told the Mini to just go into Warspeech and do some DPS; let me just keep healing the whole group. It was better than me blowing Steady Hands to go back to Battle Attunement.

So if you're a 3rd wheel in a group that doesn't need your class, don't be afraid to turn into a DPS'er. Grd's, Mini's, LM's, Cpt's, everyone. Just because you're not a primary DPS class doesn't mean you can't lay down some kick-butt.

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum