Post new topic   Reply to topic    Twilight Avengers Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jariath
Officer

re: Games that have my interest...

As SWTOR is going F2P soon and is really no different than WoW or Rift at max level, only instead of swords we have lightsabers (unless you would rather have a vibrosword) and instead of magic there is the force... I now turn my attention elsewhere... No, Luci and I are not quitting just yet as the leveling process with the class quest series far outshines that of all current options.

Everyone knows we have already paid for GW2 and will be joining that next Monday and depending on how it is will determine if SW gets another month of pay, I am leaning towards no and her and I can finish off our BH/IA story line when it goes free if we choose to.

In the future however there are a few other options that are definitely worth looking into, two of which will be Free to Play.

Neverwinter is supposed to be releasing later this year and is going to offer elements that were featured in the original NWN series, the ability for players to create stories. It will also have features seen in current themepark style games like Rift and WoW... all in all, for free this will definitely be worth the download to try out. It will be using the DnD fourth edition as its base and in my opinion 4E is far better suited for an MMO than it is for tabletop play.

Next Year there will be a couple more options.

First there will be pathfinder online, this definitely has my attention because pathfinder took up where WoTC left off... the developer is new to the industry of MMO's but they are looking to make a F2P game with sandbox and themepark elements. I have been following it for sometime and I will be at least checking it out.

The last one that has my interest is Wildstar. Since they stated that there will be PVE and PVP servers I am now willing to look into this cartoony style game. The released cinematic looks to be a lot of fun, something that I have been missing from MMO's ever since WoW released Cataclysm...

Note, that I loved WOTLK and felt with the Cata release they took something away from the game. Rift had it for some time, the opening Defiant area was great and many elements of the game were interesting (character trees was a big plus, only secret world has a better option of current games), but overall the leveling was lacking. ToR had the leveling done right but overall raiding is raiding... nothing new there... Maybe Wildstar will do something different, either way they have my attention with the trailer and player housing.

For those that are interested, there are a few trailers here to look at for Wildstar, one is the cinematic, another is on housing and the third is a gameplay video.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/media/

Interesting post, you sure have done a lot of looking around. I'm hoping GW2 has some staying power, and may visit back to TOR when it goes F2P to finish my story as well.

Personally, the only real problem i have with sandbox style games and games where players make the stories, is at any time, they can cease development over their project, or be very slow at fixing/maintaining them. I know that from experience playing SC, WC3 & SC2 with Custom Map making, the developers eventually loose interest, don't have enough free time and /or quit playing. On the other hand a Plot based MMO, or theme park mmo as many call it, there will 'always' be developers being paid to work on it and the content, for the life of the game. But that's just my $0.02.

The other games you mentioned I may look into just for the sake of knowing what you are talking about in the future, but Wildstar is just a step backwards from WoW graphics, and thats BAD imo, but then again I love the eye candy, do i'm partial.

One thing about sandbox games however is that with user content they can last longer than a themepark, even if the developers stop producing content. NWN nights, warcraft and starcraft were around for a long time based on user generated content. BUt those are not like an MMO with Sandbox elements. SWG lasted for 10 years and has generated a few "throwback" style servers (third party) and would most likely still be going if ToR hadn't been released. it was a sandbox type game. NWN will be a MMO, with instanced dungeons and stuff like that, but will also have user created adventures like the NWN games did, it will be interesting to see how that works. Pathfinder will be similar, but will also have user created towns, big time battles, at least this is there hopes, they are still very early in development.

As far as wildstar goes, I have to disagree on it being a step backwards. It has the similar requirements to Rift and ToR. It is just a different style of graphics, some people prefer a realistic look and that is fine, personally I am just looking to have fun in the games I play again and the trailers I saw looked fun. I admit it has a a silly look to it, but that is what they are going for. It looks like a throwback to some older cartoons and it looks like something that is going to be fun. I doubt it will ever get a million suibs, but we all know a high number of subs means nothing if the people do not stay. I watched the game play trailer and it looked on Par with all the games currently out, I watched the cinematic movie type trailer and it looked better. That was just my impressions though and realistic graphics like Rift had are fine, but sometimes it is nice when a game can truly take you out of reality.

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum