Post new topic   Reply to topic    Twilight Avengers Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cranky Pants

re: New to the game and looking for advice

Hello Avengers!

I'm a member of the Twilight Avengers in CoH. I've decided to give LOTRO a try.

Do you have any advice on a starting toon? I'm the most comfortable with melee toons, and am looking for something sturdy enough to get my feet wet while I explore the game.

Thanks for any advice that you guys may give. It's nice to see TA here too!
Kohrek

Welcome!

In LOTRO, 5 of the 9 classes are primarily melee--guardian, champion, captain, burglar, and warden. The burglar isn't particularly sturdy, so I wouldn't recommend that from your description. Guardians and Wardens have excellent survivability as they are tank classes, but as such tend to be a bit slower in killing things. Champions are a primary DPS class, focusing on AoE damage, but their primary damage stance takes away the ability to block, parry, and evade so they take more damage than many realize. Captains are the ultimate utility class. Captain buffs make everything a lot easier, plus they can off heal and have a couple of skills that can rally a fellowship from the brink of disaster. I'd say captains are more fun to play when grouping than they are when soloing, but its been a long time since I've played mine and I can't really say for sure if that's still the case.

I recently got my champion to 60, and enjoy that class quite a bit. You can't really go wrong with any of these choices. In LOTRO, unlike most other games I've played, every class comes with skills that make them desired in a wide variety of situations. Basically, if you like tanking, go with a guardian or a warden. If you like DPS, go with the champion. If you like playing the utility role, go with the Captain.

Good luck!
Cranky Pants

Thank you very much, Kohrek. That was very helpful. Hope to see you all in the game, (after the newb status wears off).
RockOnn
Officer

Legacies are always welcome - send any of the officers a tell in-game on Brandywine and we will toss you a kin invite. It's a lot more fun to experience this game in a kin.

re: Toon in COH

Hey Cranky what was your toon name in COH?
Tocanis

Cranky!!!

It's Tookie...I've also been looking into getting back on LoTR.
Cranky Pants

Hey hey, Tookie!

Ebondark,

I have several, all Cranky something. I mostly play on the Guardian server in CoH. You can pm me at @Cranky Pants or @Cranky Too anytime. If you're just starting up over there, let me know, I can get you set up with everything you'll need.
Truble

Cranky,

Add me to my friends list and look me up in-game. My two main toons are Truble (hunter) or Danceon (mini). I would be happy to help you out in-game.
Cranky Pants

Thanks, Truble...will do. Gotta love TA...always friendly and helpful folks, no matter the game.
Svensson
CaptSvensson
Leader

Wanted to welcome Tocanis to the kinship; he's been leveling so fast it looks like he's been in it for a much longer time =P

That's just how I roll...
Cranky Pants

Gratz Tookie!

He's a fun guy, TA! I'm sure you'll love having him in your group.

I've been trying a couple of types. I've gotten a hunter up to 25, a guardian up to 21 and a mini limping in at lvl 11. I've decided to stick with the hunter...for now.
RockOnn
Officer

Cranky - let us know when you are in game and if we can help you with anything.

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum