Post new topic   Reply to topic    Twilight Avengers Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azranath

re: Looking at getting into the industry...

Well as some of you know I've been helping my father out in the courier business, but over the last few weeks have come to realize that it's something that isn't for me and I've decided to head back to school and get my year 12s (top of High School here in Australia, just bellow going to University).

After a lot of soul searching and thinking about what I wanted I've come to a firm idea about what I want to do... unfortunately I've no idea where to start and so I'm writing here, and a few other places, to try and get some inside advice from the industry, the gaming industry if you're wondering what.

A couple of years ago I was heavily into a Role Playing server on NWN2 and there was one thing involved that I enjoyed as much, if not sometimes more, then the actual playing... and that was writing the biographies, journals & stories that came with the territory.

Over the last week or so I've come to realize that this is something I would enjoy, and want to do for a living in the gaming industry... and this is where I need the help. Like I say, I know now what I want to do, but I have no idea where to start... I'm going a single semester course later this year to help get me ready for my VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education, years 11 & 12) over the next couple of years, so my first big question is what sort of units should I be looking at? Obviously any literary units that will improve my knowledge and skill in various writing techniques will be helpful, but what else should I be looking at?

Also is there anything outside of schooling that will help? Would starting up something like a DeveantArt page with various stories I've written be something that would be looked at?

And finally, and most importantly, getting a job as a writer in the gaming industry... Where do I start? Where do I look? What are the steps you need to take to get into the gaming industry?

If you want to get in touch with me more personally, or perhaps point someone my way with some advice my email address is GrimReaper84@datacodsl.com

My thanks in advance and I look forward to any replies and advice I receive.

Robert Charles McPherson.
Svensson
CaptSvensson
Leader

re: Looking at getting into the industry...

Hey Azranath, glad you've been doing all right. I have some information I can share; for about 4 years I was a volunteer testing lead for Mythic (now EA Mythic) and I turned down a job offer there. This was about 6 years ago, so what I know may be a bit out of date, and it's basically about my experiences with small game companies.

All game companies are in intense competition for buzz on gaming boards and to get gamers excited about their product, so the best way for you to get someone's attention is to be active on gaming boards like IGN (I think Vault Network merged with them?) and so on. Post fan fiction, maps, just keep yourself involved. A lot of sycophants will be on those boards too, and so long as you keep posting and keep positive (and a polite demeanor) you will eventually get noticed by the PR flacks at various gaming companies.

For almost a year I wrote game mechanic guide FAQs for DAOC, and that was the reason I got an email inviting me to become the replacement testing lead for Hunters. Once you can break the ice, you are basically able to network at that point.

Character biographies and so on are basically creative writing at its finest, so keep taking classes and most importantly, keep expanding your horizons. You should have a lot of fun, a lot of the writers I met at Mythic who did the world design were a mix of serious academic types with some younger people who were really passionate about learning. Kalbren dated a world designer at Mythic the same time I was a tester there, but he didn't have much to say when I asked him about it =P

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum